Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Why good teachers matter

    Let's face it: teachers are unavoidable in this life unless you live on a deserted island in the middle of nowhere. You must live with them for twelve or more years or until your formal education is complete. For this exact reason, it is very important to have very good teachers, especially for a person with Asperger's, where a teacher can mean all the difference.
   I am not saying that all teachers are fantastic. I know there are teachers out there who make a student's life a misery. When I was in fourth grade, for example, my teacher told my mother that I had no hope of graduating grade school and high school would be a lost cause and that I could never get into the high school that all the other girls could. Years later, she was proven wrong when I graduated grade school and got into the high school I wanted.
   My point is, not all teachers are great. But there is always that one teacher who you will never forget who helped you become who you are. My fifth grade science teacher, my eighth grade science teacher, my U.S. History teacher, and my Chemistry teacher were people who knew my difficulties and went above and beyond to help me, even though they did not have to do so. I have never been good at math, so my Chemistry teacher guided me through it and I am proud to say I made a solid A in her course because she was willing to go above and beyond to make sure I understood the material. My U.S. History teacher was the same, showing me I had a passion for history that was key to my success. My grade school science teachers were the same, guiding me through some very tough times.
    Wanting to be a better student makes teachers want to work with you through your difficulties. It's like my dad says: "People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care". Showing that you are a dedicated student will make teachers go above and beyond, especially since you have Asperger's.

No comments:

Post a Comment