Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

God Help the Outcasts

     I'm not sure if any of you out there has seen the Disney version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame.  It isn't as popular as many of the other animated Disney movies.  I haven't seen it either, but I really like the story.

     Now many of you are probably thinking "Why is she bringing this up?"  Well, when I was flipping through a songbook of my brother's (he's super into theater),  I came across a song from the movie called "God Help the Outcasts."

     For those of you who don't know, The Hunchback of Notre Dame is the story of Quasimodo the hunchback who is treated awfully because of the way he looks.  A single person, Esmerelda, the gypsy girl, shows Quasimodo kindness and it changes his life.  The song "God Help the Outcasts" is sung by Esmerelda as she wanders through the church where Quasimodo lives.  She sings:

God Help the Outcasts, The tattered, the torn

Seeing an answer, to why they were born,

Winds of misfortune have blown them about

You made the outcasts

Don't cast them out.

     When I was younger, I always felt like an outcast.  People would make fun of me and taunt me openly.  I just accepted it because I thought it was just my lot in life, to be like this.  However, when I got to high school, it was actually a different story.  I made friends who didn't treat me like a pariah, and I realized this is what true friendship is.

     Like Quasimodo, we all think we are alone, an outcast.  Remember, Aspies, you are never alone.  There is always someone there for you.  You are no outcast and never will be.

     Originally posted at confessionsofateenageaspie@wordpress.com on November 6, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment