Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, March 26, 2012

In Which I am told to be Normal

     "Oh, being normal is vastly overrated" - Halloweentown


     Be normal.  What an impossible command.  Seriously, it's like being told to fly to an Aspie.

     A couple of times, when they were frustrated with me, my family and friends have snapped "Why can't you just be normal?".  They have no idea how hard we try, do they?  It's not like there's a 'normal' setting on us.  We are who we are, and we cannot change that.

     Recently, a friend asked if I could, would I become like everyone else?  In other words "typical" or "normal."  After a little consideration, I told her "No, that if I was changed I wouldn't be myself any longer."  Furthermore, who would obsess over my obsessions?  What would I do with myself?  Become boring?

     I won't pretend it's all rainbows and butterflies.  There have been times where I wish I could just be like everyone else, like in math class or at a social gathering, but this struggle makes me unique.  So, overall, I'm glad I have Asperger's, and so should other Aspies be glad, because otherwise we would not be who we are today.

     Originally posted at confessionsofateenageaspie@wordpress.com on May 23, 2011.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment