Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, March 25, 2012

I Wanna Know...Can You Show Me?

     Ok, ok, I know that is a total Tarzan reference, but it does have a point.  In the movie, Tarzan, Tarzan is curious to learn about the world he never knew about from other people.  As Phil Collins sings in Tarzan's stead:

I wanna know

Can you show me?

I wanna know about the strangers like me

     Aspies are actually a lot like Tarzan if you think about it.  We want desperately to understand how everyone else works but to do that we need a teacher, like Tarzan's Jane, or else we have little hope. (Sorry, but it's true). 

     "Who are these teachers?"  you might ask.  Well, they are our friends who are our own age.  Yes, they are hard to find and even harder to trust, but once you have a good friend who is not an Aspie, you can get them to help you.

     My own friends try their hardest to help me out.  Whenever I don't get something in a conversation, they immediately jump in and explain it to me and usually bring me up to speed.  They help me get jokes and teach me how to act around other people, I don't know, so that I feel safer.  Take note, most of these people don't even know I have Asperger's, they just know I have some social difficulties and they are actually willing to help me out...a lot.  For this, I will be forever grateful.

     Try to find a "teacher" in your life.  You'll be glad you did.

     Originally published at confessionsofateenageaspie@wordpress.com on January 30, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment