Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, March 26, 2012

Loving Who You Are

     Who doesn't have something they would like to change about themselves?  Whether it be what you look like, your past, or any number of things.  I can hear you all now: "She has no idea about what I've lived through."  And you're right.  I have no idea what people say to you or do to you, and I have no power to undo all of that.

     Lots of people get upset when they are teased about who they are, and then they try to change it, or worse, hide it.  Let me give you a word from the wise:  You cannot hide who you are forever, and eventually, the curtain will fall on who you're pretending to be.

     Being an Aspie is a gift, but a lot of people don't realize that.  They try to make us conform to their idea of 'normal,' which is wrong.  If we try to be normal, we'll explode.  You have to accept and love yourself for who you are, not what other people put you down as.  A dear friend of mine said once: "I'm on a mission to define myself the way I want to be defined, I will not be defined as what I've been labeled."  I thought he was completely right, and I try to live that way, loving myself and everyone around me for who they are, differences and all, but especially the differences.

     You are magnificent people, all of you.  So go out and be that way.

     Originally posted at confessionsofateenageaspie@wordpress.com on May 25, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment