Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, March 25, 2012

In Which I am Upset

      Something sad and devastating is happening to me and to all readers, actually.  Border's is closing.

     We are not supposed to love chain stores.  We are supposed to shun such places because if we don't, we will seem too average.

     Border's is a different story (no pun intended).  I practically grew up in Border's Bookstore as I'm sure of lot of my readers have.  Border's was the only place where I felt I could be myself.  I remember climbing the shelves to the top when I was younger and grasping for whatever book I wanted.  When I was going through hard times in life, there was always someone there to help me and to make me laugh.

     Border's introduced me to Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy from Narnia.  They were always there when times got tough.  I met Oliver Twist, Fagin and the Artful Dodger through Border's.  I also met Jean Valjean (my fictional hero!), Cosette, Marius (Les Miserables), Harry Potter, Hermione, Ron (Harry Potter series), and countless others.  These characters were my friends when I didn't have anyone to turn to.  They were my comforters when no one else could reach me.  And through these characters, and a love of books, I also met some forever real friends who will stick by me forever.

     I love Border's and I am sorry to see it go.  So long, my dear friend.  You have taught me well.

     Originally posted at confessionsofateenageaspie@wordpress.org on April 1, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment